Make Millions on the Internet
A new peripherals company, Gedanke Tech, is producing modems which are not limited to transmitting and receiving data in bits per second, b/s or bps, but rather in bits per second squared, b/(s^2) or bpss. That is, every second, the current bps rate increases by bpss (this increase is smooth and not incremental).
Please note that this is a perfectly spherical company in a vacuum at absolute zero temperature.
The CEO, who will no doubt die very soon in the vacuum and temperature, wishes to demonstrate how cool the new modems are, with a demonstration while the product is still being improved.
Exercises for the Reader:
1. How many bpss must the GedankeTech modem rate in order to match speed with a 56k modem downloading a 1 Meg file (assume that 56k=57344 bps and 1M=8388608 bits) from an equal start? Show all work.
2. Generalizing the formula, how many bpss must the GedankeTech modem rate in order to match speed with an X bps modem downloading a Y bit file from an equal start? Show all work.
3. Solve Exercise 1 without using integral calculus. You may use any other accepted mathematical method.
4. Solve Exercise 1 without using the cerebrum in any way. You may use any other human bodily organ, including other parts of the nervous system.
5. Solve Exercise 1 before 1977 without using time travel. You may use Voodoo.